Blog Etiquette

Just something that I've been wondering about...

This is my first public blog, so I'm not too clear on some things. My personal blog is over at LiveJournal, and it's all locked down. Because of that, in order for someone to read my entries, they have to be on my friends list. When someone adds you, they generally leave you a comment to let you know, and if you want them to be able to read your entries, you friend them back. How does that work here? What do you do for etsy-related blogs? They're all public, obviously, so you don't have to add people so that they can your posts. I'm wondering specifically the etiquette when you follow someone. Do you comment and let them know? Do they really care, or are they just interested in having as many followers, and reaching as many people as possible? I ask because there are many threads with people asking for others to follow their blog. I went through a few of them, followed a lot of people, and posted my link. Maybe it's just me, but I go back to those threads and add new people who have posted their link if their blog interests me. (I need to make sure that I've got everyone following added!) I just feel that if you're going to ask for people to follow you, you should return the gesture, you know? Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I'm not complaining, by any means, I'm just wondering. Honestly, I'd rather have a small group that I can interact with instead of hundreds that I can't keep track of!

It does make me wonder though, if people aren't interested because this is a new blog. If it's because the two posts that I have are just not interesting, which I can understand. Or if people are just after numbers and just don't care. It's just something that crossed my mind in all of this following madness. What do you think? I'd love to hear what you think about this. What the generally accepted rules to following people are, because I've got no idea and am honestly interested!

Pondering out of the way, I need to go and read up on all of the blogs that I'm now following! I've got A LOT of reading ahead of me!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Hmm. Well, for myself, I have only one blog, personal and public. I started it as a promotion for my Etsy shop, but most of my posts have nothing to do with Etsy, but about my life and places I go and things I do that I think might be interesting. I don't often post in the get-blog-followers thread, because I don't feel honest asking for followers if I won't follow them back, but I don't want to follow someone if I'm not interested in their blog, right? So mostly I just post in blog update threads, and I get a few followers from that. I mostly find new blogs through blogs that I am already following. I don't usually comment specifically to let them know I am following, but I try to make a comment on an post soon after. I don't know if there are 'rules' - if there are I feel bad, because I've been doing a good job of ignoring them!!

Mel said...

That makes sense. I tend to be a very private person, which is why I keep most of my stuff locked down. I like to know who's reading my stuff, and if I don't want them to, I don't add/approve them. Keeping up with doubles of everything isn't the easiest thing to do, but it gives me peace of mind knowing that I don't have strangers reading things that I don't want them to. ;)

La Femme Jewlery said...

We are also new to the blog world. As far as having rules to follow you need to keep true to your sense of style. Sometimes we thought we should change a couple of things but thats not who we are. We figure we will learn as we go. So have fun with it, your blog looks great. I checked out your etsy store and you do a great job wire wrapping your jewelry.

Barkingdog said...

Your blog is interesting so I decided to follow it, plus it looks graphically appealing. I just posted some guy's schtick about 10 things to think about before one blogs. It was interesting, but I don't really agree a blog must have an underlying purpose. It's all about connecting in some fashon. I do like your blog Mel, and I will be back.